The “Support to the National Assembly of Zambia, phase II (NAZ II)” project forms part of the Effectiveness and Transparency in Management of Public Resources (EFFECT) programme, which is funded by the European Union (EU) under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF).
Project Results Areas
Result 1: Improved capacity for legislative scrutiny of the national budget
The pragmatic approach to achieving this result will be the delivery of a blended set of activities that are firmly rooted in practical advice and solutions designed to ensure that approved budgets accurately and clearly reflect stated Government policy. This strategy will ensure that scarce public funds are applied to activities that will add value to the socio-economic well-being of the Zambian citizens, women and men.
Key Activities for Result 1
- Review of the annual national budget proposals and of the Medium-Term Expenditure Frameworks (MTEF)
- Review of the Auditor General’s reports and other special reports.
- Capacity building of Committees members on PFM functions.
- Peer to Peer Learning with European Parliaments
Result 2: The quality of analysis of the budget by the Parliamentary Budget Office and the technical Committees, and its execution is improved
The scope for budget analysis is limitless. Therefore, it is essential that the reason (s)/ purpose/expected outcomes for the analysis are established in advance otherwise we have a risk that time is wasted producing analysis that adds limited value. Similarly, when analysis is done on actual budget implementation, this must be preceded by unambiguous criteria justifying the purpose of the analysis. The PBO is a recent innovation and should be the primary source of budget analysis. To achieve this result significant assistance will be directed to this Office to improve the quality of budget analysis.
Key Activities for Result 2
- Review of sector budgets.
- Training for PBO staff in macro-economic analysis and revenue analysis
- Capacity building for PBO staff and Committee Clerks on budget and expenditure analysis.
- Capacity Building on public debt management, fiscal decentralization, and analysis of periodical reports, such as annual reports, national development plans and audit reports, and policy and bills costing analysis.
- Revision of the PFM Handbook
- Production of the selected manuals
- Administrative support to project implementation