Carlsberg’s new headquarters, measuring 15,585 square meters, is located in the North-western corner of Carlsberg City District in Copenhagen. One of the building’s three wings creates a bridge over one of the district’s main roads, J.C. Jacobsens Gade, while the remaining two wings embrace Carls Jacobsen’s garden and mansion.
The building is a sustainable piece of construction with durable, long-lasting solutions made in natural materials.
The beautiful copper façade is made up of 50 per cent recycled copper. The copper transmits memories back to the old copper kettles used for brewing beer, and simultaneously refers to the many elegant copper details on the historic buildings around the Carlsberg City District.
To reduce the energy consumption of the building, Carlsberg has installed solar panels on the roof and rooftops with grass, which contribute to collect rainwater that is subsequently led into the lake in Carl Jacobsen’s public garden. Rainwater that has been in contact with the copper is collected separately and rinsed before diverted.
Room for 700 permanent workstations and approx. 900 employees
The tallest point of the building is 18 meters from the top of Valby Hill. The four floors have a capacity for 700 employees. Beneath the building is a three-story underground parking garage.
Responsible for all engineering disciplines
NIRAS has consulted on all engineering disciplines, sustainability, energy design, indoor climate, acoustics, and local rainwater diversion. Furthermore, NIRAS has been in charge of 3D-projection, inspections, design- and ICT management, as well as safety.
Carlsberg’s new head office is located on the same street as where the old Carlsberg brewery was originally founded in 1847 by brewer J.C. Jacobsen, and where Carlsberg Laboratory is currently located.
For the first time in history, Carlsberg Laboratory will be physically connected to the headquarters with a hallway from the 1,685 square meter parking garage. The very first basements beneath Carlsberg were built concurrently with the original brewery in 1847, and have since been expanded by more than seven km. The Laboratory has however never been connected to the headquarters until now.
Brewer Carl Jacobsen was the only son of J.C. Jacobsen, and Carlsberg is named after Carl.